Yesterday I was driving through a lower class neighborhood in Boston when I stopped at a stop sign to let a mother and her two kids pass. The mother was quite obese with very clear torsion of the hips/legs. Her kids, who I’d put at around ages 4 and 8, were both clearly mouthbreathers and were clearly on their way to being obese with twisted bodies. It triggered a thought to me… “what will happen when all these kids grow up?” What I am seeing here is not an exception… it is the new norm in America now. And it has some very dark future connotations on the future of this country.
- These kids will have misformed skulls and bodies that will have them experiencing health issues in their 20’s… probably even mid-20’s
- These kids will be struggling more with their health than trying to get ahead in their careers. Meaning they will never likely build up a savings pool to base a future off of.
- Many of the parents of these kids’ parents will save up their hardworking money and stick braces on them… thus accelerating the whole downward cycle.
- The healthcare system in this country is so broken that once the shit hits… they are pretty much screwed in a way that it would be difficult for them to ever economically recover.
I don’t think many people, even out here on the TMJ forums, get it yet… just how deep the implications of this shit are for the future. We are talking about a generation growing up now (ie. kids that are 0 – 10yrs old), who I am terming the ‘Malocclenials’, that is by far much more screwed up than the Millennials, who were more screwed up than my generation.
Let’s look at a few facts based on my observations here in Boston:
- When I was a kid growing up in a suburb of NYC in the early 1980’s I would estimate that perhaps 5% of kids were obese. This number is now easily over 70% in most American suburbs now. And the diet has not changed that radically… as low fat & fat free was already a craze even when I was a kid.
- The percent of kids that I would estimate needed braces back then was perhaps <10% based on my rough recollection (note that it could have been slightly higher). Whereas now I would easily put this number at over 70% in most of the kids I am seeing.
We are seeing a massive, massive decline in the span of 30 years…. And the healthcare system of this country is not set up to cope at all. Most insurance covers have never even heard of ALF, let alone think about covering it… and they still try to avoid most kinds of true TMJ treatments.
So what will happen to a family like the one I saw crossing the street?
Well shit will start going wrong with the parent(s)… who will have a tough time maintaining their job. Which was barely getting them by to begin with. The parent will begin having health issues, for which they throw the typical pharmaceutical treatments that doctors currently offer, and it will of course be useless. So they will get more and more depressed, while wasting more and more of their hard earned money.
Meanwhile their kids will get more and more screwed up… and possibly have things like ADD (Attention deficit disorder) or sleep apnea. They will also get obese and probably a bit depressive. Then they will also begin having health issues, and the whole house of cards will begin to collapse.
What I am talking about is not something that will happen to the ‘occasional’ lower class American family… it is WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO MOST LOWER CLASS AMERICAN FAMILIES.
And note that I think similar things will happen to the middle class as well, but they will have a bit more wealth and education to defend themselves against it.
But let’s not sugarcoat anything here…. I am talking about the absolute destruction of millions of American families. And it will be fucking painful to watch.